Attila in running or Simpson to opera


Shortly before going out to run, the television broadcast of the inaugural evening of the 2018-2019 season at the Scala in Milan began.

The title is Attila by Giuseppe Verdi, directed by Riccardo Chailly.

The work was also broadcast on Radio3, which is the station I usually listen to, but (to be honest) I never listen to opera while I run. I like to say that no possible improvement will ever convince me to liste  junk music when I run. But the opera ...

Perhaps listening to Verdi reminded me of the first time I went to work in the fantastic setting of the Terme of Caracalla to see Giuseppe Verdi's Aida.
I was 12, I accompanied my mother who had these tickets for free (going to the opera was not within my family's reach, in every sense).

In the following years I went to the opera other times, with my classmates of the advertising graphic course. The school director gathered the volunteers and took us to the Teatro dell'Opera di Roma. I do not remember if we were then assigned the task of designing the manifesto of opera. We generally had to draw a poster after every film we saw at the school's film club once a week.

It's been a decade since I last attended an opera. It was Verdi's Rigoletto. I went there with my wife, the show was held inside the Villa Adriana in Tivoli, if I remember correctly.

Of course I remember Homer Simpson's line when he says that opera is a matter of fat people singing.

However, assisting Rigoletto I was moved. I did my best to disguise my emotion, but I could not avoid it.

How do you say "rincoglionirsi" in English?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shit afternoon

Short memory and long memory

what the numbers suggest